Ectopic Pregnancy is a pregnancy complication in which the embryo attaches outside the uterus.
Ectopic Pregnancy mostly occurs in Fallopian tube which carries eggs from the ovaries to the uterus known as
tubal pregnancy. Symptoms include abdominal pain, vaginal bleeding, nausea and cramping pain spread through shoulders
if the abdomen bleeding has occurred. An Ectopic Pregnancy can neither proceed normally nor the fertilized egg can
survive and the growing tissues may cause heavy bleeding. Although if the fertilized egg continues to grow in the
Fallopian tube, it can cause the tube to rupture leading to severe abdominal pain and unconsciousness.
What are the signs and symptoms of Ectopic Pregnancy?
- Mild vaginal bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Vomiting and upset stomach
- Dizziness and exhaustion
- Pain in shoulder, neck and rectum
- Sharp abdominal cramps
What are the causes of Ectopic Pregnancy?
- An infection in the Fallopian tube can block it partially or entirely.
- Scar tissue from previous infection or surgery can restrict the egg’s movement.
- Fallopian tube can be misshaped due to abnormal growth or birth defects.
- Previous pelvic or abdominal surgery.
- Several induced abortions.
- Smoking regularly.
How to prevent Ectopic Pregnancy?
There are some measures to decrease the risk of Ectopic pregnancy:
- Limit your number of sexual partners.
- Always use condoms during sex to help prevent sexually transmitted infections.
- Quit smoking long before you plan a pregnancy.
- Surgical treatment through laparoscopy.
- A medication named methotrexate is used to dissolve the pregnancy tissues.
During an ectopic pregnancy, the mother looses a part of her fertility, faces life threatening situations and is left with unanswered questions about her health and future pregnancies. The initial rush of feelings leaves the mother in sorrow, disbelief, emptiness and anxiety. It also hampers the relationship between you and your partner and your future family plans.Every woman in this world deserves to enjoy the bliss of becoming a mother and any complications blocking her way can be resolved by visiting the best gynecologist nearby and consulting her regularly.